Different Types of Biocides and Algaecides:
1. Halogen based: sodium/calcium hypochlorite, Chlorine gas, bromine/hypobromous acid, Iodine
2. Hydrogen Peroxide
4. Copper Sulfate
5. Chlorine Dioxide
II - Non-Oxidizing Biocides:
3. UV Light
4. High Heat
5. Quaternary Ammonium Compounds
6. Lime-Chlorine solutions
7. SBS = sodium bi sulfite
8. Barley straw is an algaecide. The exact mechanism is poorly understood, but it seems that barley straw, when exposed to sunlight and in the presence of oxygen, produces a chemical that inhibits algae growth.
11. 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol (bronopol)
15. Diquat (kills aquatic plants)
16. Endothal (kills aquatic plants)
17. Powdered Activated Carbon: can be used to fight algae by being dosed to the water and thus creating turbidity which blocks the sun and hence inhibiting growth of algae in lakes and ponds.
Compiled by Rami E. Kremesti M.Sc.